Top 40 Songs of 2009
I love "best of" lists. I'll spend a good few hours over the Christmas holidays browsing 2009's best movies, best songs, best photos, best stories, etc. Not only is it a nice saunter through the past year, it's also a time to see what I missed. I'm guessing I'm not alone in my love so I thought I'd pass on my top 40 songs of 2009. To keep the list diverse I'm only going to choose one song per band even though a few bands could have easily had multiple songs in my 2009 list. Enjoy the playlist on Grooveshark.
#40. You Don't Have a Clue - Röyksopp. This is my Euro song of 2009. Every time I listen to it I'm transported to a major European city and am drinking coffee at some cafe.
#39. Harry Patch (In Memory Of) - Radiohead. This song sounds like it should be on the soundtrack to an oscar nominated film.
#38. Breathe - U2. U2 were by far my favorite live show of 2009. This song in particular was epic live.
#37. Sing Sang Sung - Air. Air will always have a special place in my heart. Ethereal French pop.
#36. A Stick, A Carrot & String - Mewithoutyou. Insightful lyrics paired with some pop-folk might be a new departure for this band but it's a powerful combination.
#35. Shot in the Back of the Head - Moby. Although his popularity may have withered since the days of Play, Moby still continues to put out insanely good electronica as evidenced by this track.
#34. The Only Child of Aergia - Owen. There are few artists able to put out as many good pop-ballads as Owen.
#33. Laughing With - Regina Spektor. Regina explores faith in crisis and comedy.
#32. Empire State of Mind (feat. Alicia Keys) - Jay-Z. Driving around town with my two kids singing "New York" at the top of their lungs along with Alicia Keys will be a favorite memory of 2009.
#31. The Sea is a Good Place to Think of the Future - Los Campesinos! An emotional song. Sometimes pain need some screaming.
#30. Burial - Miike Snow. Miike Snow was a late addition to my 2009 listening rotation but has quickly become a favorite.
#29. Bless This Mess - David Bazan. I really don't listen to much Bazan but have always had a respect for him. Bless This Mess became part of my regular listening regimen later in the year. Bazan wrestles with some great spiritual questions.
#28. Porcelain - Sleeping at Last. Sleeping at Last continue to put out poetic masterpieces. They're easily one of my favorite all time bands.
#27. Never Had Nobody Like You (Featuring Zooey Deschanel) - M. Ward. Happy, catchy, love song with the timeless voice of Zooey Deschanel. Hard to go wrong.
#26. Take it Easy - Surfer Blood. The twangy surf guitars compliment the indie vibe these guys have.
#25. Set Guitars to Kill - And So I Watch You From Afar. Irish post-rock. Insanely good. Our whole family goes into air-band mode every time this song is on in the car.
#24. Feel It All Around - Washed Out. Few songs say "chillax" better.
#23. Change of Heart - El Perro Del Mar. I haven't pinned down why I like this song so much. Maybe it's the relaxed groove but most likely it's because I feel cool when it's playing.
#22. The Verb - The Swell Season. Few artist manage to muster the passion of Glen Hansard. The fact that he's Irish only makes him cooler.
#21. Beach - Mew. Mew's vocals and guitars get me every time.
#20. Generator First Floor - Freelance Whales. I only started listening to these guys in the past month. They have multiple songs that could be on this list.
#19. Substitution - Silversun Pickups. Pop-rock. Simple and good.
#18. French Navy - Camera Obscura. These indie giants are keeping me groovin' with their brand of quirky pop.
#17. Hysteric - Yeah Yeah Yeahs. This has to be the best song the Yeah Yeah Yeahs have ever put out.
#16. Warm Heart of Africa - The Very Best. African indie pop. No, that wasn't a typo. To that description I should probably add 'infectious'.
#15. The Walls Are Coming Down - Fanfarlo. Their debut is full of indie-pop goodness. Too many songs could have made this list.
#14. Benson Hedges - by fun. Power-pop-gospel-indie. These guys live up to their name.
#13. Walkabout (w/Panda Bear) - Atlas Sound. Few songs have gotten more play-time on iTunes this year.
#12. Quinceniera - Mariachi El Bronx - Indie-mariachi music. The idea might sound insane but the product is perfect. You wonder why no one has tried it before.
#11. Ring Ring - Sleigh Bells. A groove reminiscent of the Beta Band coupled with cool smooth vocals. Life goes into slow motion when this song is playing.
#10. Two Weeks - Grizzly Bear. I'm not a huge Grizzly Bear fan but this song is really good. Really good.
#9. Bubbles - Biffy Clyro. Biffy led the charge for awesome rock this year. Only Revolutions is by far their best effort and I think will be remembered as the album where the band defined their signature sound.
#8. So Insane - Discovery. The Kingsley signature dance song of 2009.
#7. The Weight - Thrice. Beggars was a perfect album. If you get this album for Christmas it's because someone loves you very much.
#6. Moth's Wings - Passion Pit. If you'd asked me who Passion Pit were in 2008 I would have looked at you with a blank stare. Now it's hard to imagine me creating a playlist without them. Moth's Wings was the first song of theirs I clung to.
#5. Two - The Antlers. I came across this song on the same day as Moth's Wings. That was a good day.
#4. Wilco (The Song) - Wilco. Wilco are one of my favorite bands. Tweedy can seem to do no wrong. This song is aptly named because it's pure Wilco.
#3. Horchata - Vampire Weekend. C-A-T-C-H-Y! Can't wait for the album release in 2010.
#2. Boy Lilikoi - Jónsi. Perhaps it's the anticipation of what is coming that makes this song even better. Jónsi from Sigur Rós is releasing a solo album in 2010. If it's anything like this song, 2010 will be great.
#1. Lasso by Phoenix. By far my favorite band of 2009. Every one of their songs could have made this list. Pop-genius.
BONUS: You Make My Dreams Come True - Hall & Oats. OK, this song isn't from 2009. Not even close but I first heard it in 2009 and it's 80's groove is awesome.
Technorati Tags: Music




There